RF Engineer (LTE Focus)
Sensor - Device Detection
Remote / Office / Offsite
Ubiety is developing innovative technology that creates digital identification based on the RF signaling of common portable devices in order to improve the safety and security of communities and homes. We offer a fast paced, highly collaborative startup environment where you will be inventing and developing transformative products and technology. Ubiety has multiple patents granted on our sensor technology and our analytics & AI engine, with multiple more in the pipeline. You will be working alongside extremely talented engineers and creative designers from inception through delivery of revolutionary products.
We are seeking an RF Engineer with an LTE focus who thrives in a fast paced environment and is passionate about creating a world class device discovery and detection platform. This opportunity requires extensive experience in the LTE stack, with at least some familiarity of 3G and 5G. You will be responsible for understanding the LTE protocol and identifying areas where we may be able to utilize our sensor technology to detect information that could be useful to our latest home awareness and security product. You will also be responsible for building systems that can collect and process information from these cellular protocols. The ideal candidate is motivated by researching and prototyping solutions to real-world challenges of dealing with cellular and other wireless communication protocols. If you are committed to teamwork, hustle, and learning you will thrive in this role.
The most important characteristics for this role are aptitude, a passion to learn, a positive attitude and a strong work ethic. While we do not prioritize years of experience or educational pedigree, preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrable track record of success delivering new features or products. The ideal candidate has thrived and succeeded in delivering high-quality products and features in a hyper-growth environment where priorities can shift quickly. The candidate will have a working understanding of the basics of the LTE protocol stack. Familiarity with modern wireless communication protocols such as WiFi and TCP/IP, Bluetooth, BLE, nb-IoT, Zigbee, Z-Wave, or others will also be highly valuable. Scripting experience for interacting with said network protocols and transferring the resulting data (particularly in Python) is a plus.
We’re a small company; we don’t have rigid roles, and we have a lot to do... We can help you grow wherever your interests take you.
What You'll Be Doing
- Research and deeply understand the details of LTE, and other common communication protocols such as WiFi and Bluetooth
- Determine novel ways of utilizing LTE and other wireless communication protocols to detect unique physical devices, and understand their presence within a given area
- Create rapid prototypes to test and validate hypotheses about behavior of devices on these protocols in the real world
- Document research into these protocols and results from experiments
- Profile and improve our sensor’s performance in terms of detection and information extraction in LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, and other protocols
What You'll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Telecommunications Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field (demonstrable past work products may be considered for candidates without a Bachelor’s degree)
- 4+ years of relevant work experience
- Extensive familiarity with the specific protocol implementations behind cellular communication standards (particularly LTE, but GSM, UMTS, and CDMA are also a plus).
- Experience with SIP protocols, 3GPP, and 3GPP2 standards
- Deductive problem-solving skills, particularly around identifying areas of (and patterns in) the cellular stack that could be useful to Ubiety’s mission
- Proficiency in developing data collection scripts with deep experience in one or more relevant languages such as Python, NodeJS, Java, C, or C++ (Preference will be given to candidates with specific experience using Python)
- Strong communications skills, work ethic, aptitude, and passion to learn
- IEEE WCET certification or other similar certifications are a huge plus
- Experience in decoding cellular messaging and creating embedded algorithms on FPGAs is a huge plus
- We're looking for someone who is comfortable with a fast-moving environment and can learn quickly