Embedded Systems Engineer
Sensor - Embedded
Remote / Office / Offsite
Ubiety is developing innovative technology that creates digital identification based on the RF signaling of common portable devices in order to improve the safety and security of communities and homes. We offer a fast paced, highly collaborative startup environment where you will be inventing and developing transformative products and technology. Ubiety has multiple patents granted on our sensor technology and our analytics & AI engine, with multiple more in the pipeline. You will be working alongside extremely talented engineers and creative designers from inception through delivery of revolutionary products.
We are seeking an Embedded Software Engineer who thrives in a fast paced environment and is passionate about creating a world class device management and sensor platform. This opportunity requires experience with low-level Operating System details, specifically Linux. You will be responsible for creating kernel modules and embedded architecture for making sure each sensor in our fleet can perform their most basic tasks like booting, downloading and applying critical updates (software and firmware), monitoring health of the hardware, resetting back to a factory state, and recovering to a known state in the case of critical failures. The ideal candidate is motivated by building a system that deploys, manages, and monitors a large number of sensor devices that each collect large amounts of data, and is passionate about achieving operational excellence of the sensor fleet as a whole. If you are committed to teamwork, hustle, and learning you will thrive in this role.
The most important characteristics for this role are aptitude, a passion to learn, a positive attitude, and a strong work ethic. While we do not prioritize years of experience or educational pedigree, preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrable track record of success delivering new features or products. The ideal candidate has thrived and succeeded in delivering high-quality products and features in a hyper-growth environment where priorities can shift quickly. The candidate will have a strong software development background, and a track record of building systems that solve common challenges on embedded devices. Working knowledge of Linux and Python is a must.
In this role, you will have full ownership and autonomy over the lowest-level details of HomeAware’s fleet of sensors.
We’re a small company; we don’t have rigid roles, and we have a lot to do... We can help you grow wherever your interests take you.
What You'll Be Doing
- Design and build modules and systems for use on HomeAware’s deployed fleet of sensor devices
- Design components on the sensor that allow software and firmware updates, resetting to a factory state, and recovering from critical errors
- Create monitoring systems that detect hardware or software issues on the sensor and that initiate protocols to recover from those failure states
- Troubleshoot problems with hardware modules reported by sensors in the field (Bluetooth and WiFi modules cutting out, low-power warnings, etc)
- Participate in decision-making around the hardware design for future sensor devices
- Build and modify on-sensor code to aid in detection of devices
- Document and refactor/improve our sensor logic codebase
- Debug complex problems, prioritize relentlessly, and get things done with a high level of efficiency.
- Learn constantly, be willing to investigate new areas with unfamiliar technologies, and embrace the need to think outside the box and solve problems on your own
What You'll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field (demonstrable past work products may be considered for candidates without a Bachelor’s degree)
- 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience with system-level design of embedded systems
- Demonstrable past of hands-on embedded system prototyping and development
- Fluency and development experience in Python
- Familiarity with the Linux kernel
- Strong communications skills, work ethic, aptitude, and passion to learn
- Development experience on major communication protocols and standards (Bluetooth, BLE, WiFi, USB, etc) is a plus
- We're looking for someone who is comfortable with a fast-moving environment and can learn quickly.